[Table of Contents] [UW Home] [List of Sections]

General Admission Requirements

The minimum admission requirements are expressed in terms of the Ontario Secondary School curriculum.

In many programs the number of qualified applicants may exceed the number of places available. The possession of the minimum requirements guarantees only that the application will be considered seriously. The admission process is actually a competition for the places available, and the majority of the students admitted usually have averages well above the minima.

Applicants educated outside of Ontario must submit evidence of having obtained a level of education equivalent to that required of applicants from Ontario (see chart on pages 2:5-2:9) as well as meeting admissions average requirements.

Ontario Secondary School applicants who are refused admission to a particular program may be considered for admission to other programs for which they satisfy the specific subject and marks requirements. Applicants who are not currently in Ontario Secondary School and who are refused admission to the program to which they applied may be considered for other programs of their choice.

English Language Requirement for Applicants Whose Mother Tongue is Not English

Given that the official language of instruction at the University of Waterloo is English it is incumbent upon the University to have in place policies and procedures to ensure that its undergraduate students have sufficient language skills to cope with the rigors of the academic curriculum as well as, for many, the communications skills to be successful in co-operative education programs.

Applicants Who Have Lived in Canada for a Period of Less Than Five Years
Applicants whose mother tongue is not English and who have lived in Canada less than five years as of the first day of the month of the term in which studies are to begin must provide the following tests and scores as indicated below: These requirements are distinct from and additional to the requirement to present OAC English, or equivalent, where it is stated as an admission requirement.

Those who have lived in Canada for a period of less than five years but have pursued formal education for five years or more in a country or jurisdiction where the language of instruction is English may be considered for an exemption. Also, in very exceptional cases the University is willing to consider an exemption for those who have been in Canada for less than five years and who can demonstrate clearly that they have acquired the necessary language skills. The appropriate admissions committee will consider requests on a case-by-case basis. Such applicants should contact the University in writing and make a strong case for exemption.

Applicants Who Have Lived in Canada for Five Years or Longer
Applicants whose mother tongue is not English and who have lived in Canada for five years or longer will also be required to meet the above requirements if they have not pursued formal education where English is the language of instruction. The appropriate admissions committee will apply these requirements on a case-by-case basis and notify the applicant promptly after a careful review of the documentation presented. Bilingual francophone Canadians educated in Canada are not required to meet these requirements.

Permanent Resident Status

Normally, applicants must be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents (Landed Immigrants) in order to be considered for admission to a Co-operative program.

New residents of Canada who are in the process of having their immigration status clarified (e.g. refugee claimants, applicants for Permanent Resident status and those holding MinisterUs Permits) will be considered on an individual basis. If such an applicant is admitted, continued registration in a co-operative program will be contingent upon providing proof of a valid work permit. Those in Canada on Student Authorizations (Student Visas) are not eligible for admission to Co-operative programs.


[Table of Contents]