[AHS] [Arts] [Eng] [ES] [IS] [Math] [Sci] [Inter] [Calendar Top] [UW Home]

Program Selection

Full-time students: Students normally take five academic term courses in all terms in which they are registered. Part-time studies or reduced programs: Except in exceptional circumstances, an Honours program may not be taken on a completely part-time or reduced program basis.

All undergraduate Honours degree programs in the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences must be successfully completed within eight calendar years from the time the student first enters the program. Students may complete a segment of their program on a part-time basis but, normally, must successfully complete a minimum of 50% of their degree requirements while enrolled in full-time study (i.e. minimum of five courses per term) in the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences. In the case of students who have been granted the equivalent of one year of advanced standing, the Applied Health Sciences program must be completed in seven years and in the case of students who have been granted the equivalent of two years of advanced standing, the Applied Health Sciences program must be completed in six years. The Faculty of Applied Health Sciences does not encourage part-time studies, with the exception of the Diploma in Gerontology. However, a General degree may be pursued on a part-time or reduced-program basis subject to approval by the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies and the department concerned. Normally, no first-year program for a full-time student may be reduced below the ten courses minimum except in very exceptional circumstances.


Auditing a Course

It is the responsibility of the student to inform the course instructor at the beginning of the course that he/she would like to audit the course. The instructor and student may then form a contract outlining the particular auditing requirements for that course.


Letter of Permission Policy

A student may request permission to take a course(s) at another university for credit at Waterloo. A maximum of ten term courses (or equivalent) can be obtained this way, provided the grade is C- or above. The Associate Chair may approve up to five term courses (or equivalent). Requests for approval for additional courses must go to the Applied Health Sciences Undergraduate Studies Committee. To obtain any approval the student must obtain a Letter of Permission Request form from the Registrar's Office and provide the details of the course(s) to be taken, appropriate course descriptions and the reasons for the request. When approved and the appropriate fee paid, the Registrar's Office will prepare the Letter of Permission and forward it to the student, the host university and the major department concerned.

It will be the student's responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is sent to the Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Needles Hall, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario within two months of the completion of the course(s).

The granting of any Letter of Permission request by the University of Waterloo does not necessarily ensure that the student will be able to enrol in the approved course at the other university. There may be restrictions on class enrolments, etc. at that institution. Students should contact that institution's Registrar's Office for procedural details.


Distance Education Courses

The University offers distance education courses for those students who would like to study part time and/or are not able to attend classes on campus. In addition, distance education courses may, under some circumstances, be taken while on a work term. The Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies is the only individual who can grant permission to enrol in a distance education course. Permission must be granted before the student enrols in the course and/or the course commences.


Course and Program Changes

  1. Up to the end of the first two weeks of lectures, the student may drop or add any elective course without approval, provided that i) he/she does not predetermine a section, ii) the calendar sequence is followed, and iii) there is no change from the full-time course load as defined by the program of study. In order to exceed the normal course load of five courses per term approval of the Associate Chair is required. Dropping or adding required courses must be approved on the drop/add form by a faculty advisor.
  2. After the first two weeks of classes any course may be dropped provided the course instructor initials the drop, and either the Associate Chair or the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies signs the registration form. This policy will permit course drops only up to November 1 in the Fall term, March 1 in the Winter term and July 1 in the Spring term. In the event that any of the above dates fall on a holiday or weekend, the final drop day will be the last school day prior to the listed date.
  3. Students may withdraw from a program without academic penalty up to November 1 in the Fall term, March 1 in the Winter term and July 1 in the Spring term. In order to withdraw from a program (i.e. the University) a student must complete a standard Student Withdrawal form which is available in the Registrar's Office. This form must be signed by the appropriate Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies.
  4. Students who voluntarily withdraw prior to or during the full refund period will not have the term recorded on their academic record. Students who voluntarily withdraw from their studies after the first three weeks of classes and before any deadlines set by their faculty, will have this noted on their transcripts with the statement "Voluntary Withdrawal From Term (effective date) - No Academic Penalty". Students should note the financial implications of dropping courses or withdrawing from programs (see "Fees and Registration").



    Appeals are governed by the UW Student Grievance Policy, (Policy #70), outlined briefly in this calendar. Appeals cover any academic grievance by a student where it is alleged that a University policy or regulation has been violated, or applied in an unfair or erroneous fashion. Section II of the Policy states that "Students are expected to seek remedies for their grievances promptly and normally must lodge a grievance within two months either of being notified of an adverse decision or from the end of the term in which the alleged event or series of events occurred. Six months after graduation, a student's right to initiate a grievance ceases unless substantive new evidence is obtained. Students are entitled to timely responses to their queries, including the reasons for which decisions are made." Appeal forms may be obtained by making an appointment to speak with the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies.



    Petitions cover any student request to deviate from established procedures or regulations, while not disputing these procedures and regulations. Petition for Exception to Academic Regulations forms may be obtained from the Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies in each department. A Standings and Promotions Committee will review the petition and make a decision. This decision will be forwarded to the Associate Dean and to the Registrar, who shall inform the student. In the event of an unfavourable decision, the student may pursue the matter further in writing through the Associate Dean of the Faculty at the level of the Undergraduate Studies Committee, whose decision shall then be final.

    [AHS] [Arts] [Eng] [ES] [IS] [Math] [Sci] [Inter] [Calendar Top] [UW Home]