Admission to the Geography programs in the Faculty of Arts is gained in second year by approval of the Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies, Geography. Those interested should take the appropriate Geography courses in first year.
Three-Year General Geography
Eligibility for graduation in the Three-Year General Geography program includes fulfillment of the following requirements:
- Successful completion of a minimum of 30 term courses including Faculty of Arts Group requirements with an overall cumulative average of at least 60% and a cumulative Geography average of at least 65%.
- A minimum of any 12 term courses in Geography which may include ENV S 178, 195, 200, 278.
Eligibility for graduation in the Honours Geography program includes fulfillment of the following requirements:
Required Four-Year Program - Honours
- Successful completion of the equivalent of 40 term courses including Faculty of Arts Group requirements with an overall cumulative average of at least 60% and a cumulative major average of at least 75%.
- At least 18 term courses in Geography. ENV S 178, 195, 200, 278 can be counted as term courses in Geography for inclusion in the required 18. These 18 must include at least four Regional Area term courses.
GEOG 101 Geography and Human Habitat
GEOG 102 Geography and our Planetary Environment
GEOG 160 Introduction to Cartography and Map Analysis
GEOG 120 The World Region
Six electives which should include some Arts Faculty Group A requirements
GEOG 202A Location of Economic Activities
GEOG 202B The Geography of Economic Development
ENV S 178 Introduction to Environmental Research or equivalent basic
statistics course (See Note 7 in "Examinations and Standings")
GEOG 204 Geography of Post Soviet Union
GEOG 205 Africa
GEOG 206 The World Region and World Issues
GEOG 221 The United States
GEOG 223 The Geography of Indonesia
GEOG 226 Rural Resources and Development in the Third World
GEOG 227 Regional Problems of Europe
ENV S 200 Field Ecology
GEOG 201 Geomorphology and Soils
GEOG 208 Applied Climatology
GEOG 309 Physical Climatology
GEOG 381 The Nature of Geography
GEOG 393 Professional and Scholarly Practice in Geography
GEOG 490A/B Honours Thesis
Geography Joint Honours
(See Geography in the Faculty of Environmental Studies).
Minor Program in Geography
A total of ten term courses completed in Geography among which may be included ENV S 195 and ENV S 200, and a cumulative Geography average of at least 65%.
Notes For All Programs
- Electives: By the end of second year, one course is required from English Group One (page 16:55). ENGL 109, 129R, 140R or 150 may be taken in Year One; ENGL 209, 210A, or 210C may be taken in Year Two. Students are encouraged to take a second-year language course and other Arts courses related to a regional specialization or to consider a Minor or Joint Honours program within the Faculty of Arts. In the four-year programs, CS 100 is recommended in Year One for students without computer experience in high school.
- For some courses, extra fees may be required to defray heavy equipment/travel costs. Statements on extra costs will be found with the course description.
- Students intending to teach in Secondary Schools are advised to take at least four term courses in Regional Geography and at least four term courses in another teachable subject.
- Up to three term course equivalents may be taken as Independent Study courses in Geography.