[Table of Contents] [UW Home] [Back to University Services]

Office of Research

The Office of Research is responsible for providing the overall administration for research including, but not limited to: acting as a centre of communications between granting agencies and faculty; assisting faculty to obtain grants and negotiating contracts for undertaking research; ensuring that University policies and agency/sponsor requirements are met; and providing financial administration, monitoring and reporting to researchers, University administration and external sponsors.

The Office is also responsible for assisting with the development and administration of: international programs, including exchange agreements; research centres, institutes and groups; and technology transfer including commercialization of University research through licensing and spin-off companies.

  1. Research Grants: The Research Grants Section develops and disseminates information on sources of research funding and other support; makes personal contacts with such sources to seek to open up opportunities for University researchers by maintaining active liaison between faculty and appropriate personnel in government, industry and other sectors of society; aids faculty in the preparation of research proposals; and maintains records and administers all proposals, applications, and University grant programs. A resource centre containing information on availabile grants, application forms and procedures is maintained in Room 3015, Needles Hall.
  2. Contract Research: The Contracts Section of the Office of Research provides assistance to researchers and to industry, governments and other sectors of society in negotiating research contracts; it also provides liaison with the industrial and public sectors and communicates contract research opportunities to University researchers. The Section is also responsible for monitoring the progress of contracts.
  3. Technology Transfer and Licensing Office: The Technology Transfer and Licensing Office (TTLO) has been established to facilitate the identification of commercially significant research-based technologies. TheJOffice also assists the University research community in technology-transfer and commercialization of research spin-off technologies, including assistance in patenting, licensing, and the sale and protection of technologies on behalf of the researcher and the University. In addition, co-ordination of software licensing activities is also accommodated in the TTLO.
  4. International Programs Office: The International Programs Office provides assistance, liaison and administration for the growing number of international projects in co-operation with the CanadianInternational Development Agency (CIDA), the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), the World Bank, and other agencies. In addition, the Office is responsible for the establishment and monitoring of international exchange programs involving undergraduate and graduate students and faculty. An International Exchange Committee, chaired by the Dean of Research, oversees the 40 University exchange agreements currently in place.
  5. Office of Human Research and Animal Care: The Manager, Human Research and Animal Care reviews all research - invasive and non-invasive - conducted by faculty, students and staff which involves humans as sources of data. The ethics review process ensures the projects comply with the Office of Human Research Guidelines and are ethically, medically and legally acceptable. The Office is also responsible for approving and making arrangements for studies which require the participation of elementary and secondary school students and/or teachers. (For more information see "Research with Human Participants"). The Manager provides ongoing monitoring of human research projects and advises the Dean of Research and the Committee on Research Involving Human Subjects on issues and procedures related to research with humans.

    The Manager, in consultation with the Committee on Animal Care, reviews University research and teaching activities involving animals according to the requirements of The Animals for Research Act and the Canadian Council on Animal Care. The Manager monitors these projects and the animal facilities on-campus and advises the Dean of Research and the Committee on issues and procedures relating to the care of research animals.

  6. Research Financial Services: The Research Financial Services Section provides financial administration, monitoring and reporting to researchers, University administration and external sponsors; provides the necessary audit function to ensure adherence to University policies and to financial conditions imposed by governments, agencies and clients; maintains liaison with sponsors on procedural matters and communicates requirements to researchers; and assists with the development and administration of research centres, institutes and groups.
  7. National Research Council Field Advisory Service: The National Research Council (NRC) has made arrangements with the University to locate a Field Advisory Service Representative as an adjunct to the Office of Research. The Representative, who is a technology advisor of the Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP), is able to draw upon the technical resources of the University to assist small and medium-sized companies and thus also acts to further Waterloo's working relationship with Canadian industry.


[Table of Contents]